Thursday, September 5, 2013

At the Core

It’s Rosh Hashanah, and to those who celebrate, L’Shanah Tova, (for a good year.)


A custom during Rosh Hashanah is to dip apples in honey for a sweet new year. My kids love the idea, but in reality they are not huge honey fans. For me, a little honey goes a long way, but I do appreciate the sentiment and ritual.

Speaking of apples and family, my husband pokes a bit of fun at me for how I eat a whole apple. Admittedly, I follow a specific pattern as I bite around the apple. The only other food for which I do this is a Kit Kat, but who doesn’t, right?
Back to apples, this note is not about my apple habit, but about his.

You think you know a guy.

Years of munching away at my apples, and I felt his mocking yet probably affectionate stares as we watched television, played a board game or chatted. Then, after three years into marriage, (eight years being side-by-side with this man), I happened to take pause while I observed him finishing his apple.

I will not draw this out. The man eats the entire apple—core, seeds and all. Okay, he leaves the stem.

Turns out his uncle and brother also eat the entire apple. How did not know this? Was he hiding it? Am I that unobservant? Yes I am, I have come to learn, although I still wonder how I missed it for eight years.

Razzing me about my apple-patterned eating proclivity is less permissible now, especially because low and behold without coaching, our youngest appears to have adopted a similar style as his mother. (Resisting an apple and tree reference.)

On this Jewish New Year I take time for deeper introspection than apple eating strategies, however I will also do what I can to appreciate sweet and simple moments of eating apples and laughing with the ones I love.





No comments:

Post a Comment