Wednesday, September 18, 2013

"Because the Bunnies Float"

This "Total Change of Subject" is a quick one.  It's primarily a video post in honor of all of us who belt out the words to our favorite songs with loyalty and passion, but are called out by a friend, family member or stranger on the bus because we got the words loyally, passionately, and utterly wrong.

My husband still makes fun of me for my rendition of Billy Joel's, We Didn't Start the Fire that I "mis-sang" about 20 years ago.  Most would grant that reciting the words to this novelty song that rapidly lists 100 headline events would not be the easiest lyrics to nail, but I felt I was holding my own as we blared Billy and cruised down US1 toward the Dadeland Mall in Miami.

He pauses the song.

David: "Whoa.  What did you just sing?"

Me:  "What do you mean?

David: "Trouble in the what?"

Mindy:  Cautious. "The sewers?"

David:  "The sewers."

Mindy:  "Yes, the sewers.  There was trouble in the sewers." Confident now.  That's right, sewers!

David:  "The Suez.  Trouble in the Suez."

I will spare myself the embarrassing conversation that followed where I argued there could be rats in the sewers, and that would be--well--trouble.

So, here is our daughter's first recorded "misunderstood" lyric video.  She justifies hers just like I did mine.  We stand our ground, we Nash girls.



PS: We all know the common mis-heard lyrics, "Excuse me while I kiss this guy!" (...Kiss the sky) and "Wrapped up like a douc#e..." (revved up like a deuce).  Do you have a good one that really got you?  Would love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment